In exactly 1 month, I will be leaving SoCal, and am now really starting to feel it. Not that we won’t be back anytime soon (in fact, we’re probably gonna visit next June) or that I’m not all psyched up about our little Melbourne adventure, but it’s the very sentimental me that likes to hold on to people, to places, to memories, and to things that I worked so hard to be familiar with and acclimatized to.
In addition to the list of foods I’ll miss, I wrote out a list of top 10 things in SoCal I’ll miss:
1. Americano/Asiatico/Latino/Europeo amigos n amigas (of course, y’all know how much I treasure relationships!).
2. Beautiful SoCal beaches and bays – (in LA) Santa Monica, Venice, (in SD) Mission Bay, La Jolla, Pacific Beach.
3. Mega-stores like Costco, Party City, etc., grocery stores like Trader Joe’s, and great American brand stores like Crate and Barrel, Paper Source, Victoria Secrets, and COACH!, to name a few. Oh, and Outlet Malls.
4. Diversity, and oftentimes being only one of two Asians in the group.
5. Valley girls/ SoCal girls with hoarse voices (a la the Ashlee Simpson voice. As a Speech-Language Pathologist, I’m wondering if they have vocal nodules or something similar and if they need voice therapy. But as a girl, I am secretly jealous because I think it’s sexy. Honestly, how do they do it?? And how do so many of them have that kinda voices?).
6. Online shopping.
7. Stores opened till 10pm and 24-hour grocery stores (yeah, I really like shopping for milk at 2am, seriously).
8. Having about 100 television channels and complaining that there’s nothing good to watch on TV.
9. My little Corolla (tears).
10. Drive-through fast food (Who walks in to a McDonald’s anymore???).
Things I will not miss but in some weird way will miss bitching about:
2. Rising gas prices.